Food, glorious food... done my way. Pretence of perfection

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Say hello to my cinnamon friends

Another month, another Daring Baker challenge, this time from my overly decorated buddy Marce.

I've always wanted to know how to make dough like this, kind of soft but able to keep it's airy shape. I assmue that's the egg doing it's work. I was initially quite scared it was going all wrong, I had to keep adding more and more flour to get it out of sticky and into tacky.

I used a different method in my kneading this time (I love to experiment, and by this time I thought it was going all wrong :-)), instead of using my palm to push and stretch the dough, I just flattened it out and folded it in on itself (bit like when you make puff pastry). It worked, look at the size of these puppies:


Yes, that was my biggest baking tray :-) The eagle eyes amoung you might spot small bits of hazelnut in the cinnamon swirl. I forgot I had them and the mixing dough stage.

Now I was quite busy this month, I made these on the 29th, at the last stage. I didn't have enough milk to make the glaze so I had to go out to get some while the buns proved... 2 1/2 hours later, a one nil victory, 1 Guinness and a John Smiths later they had risen. Probably more than double their original size.

I only made the cinnamon version of the recipe; the quantity of icing sugar used for the fondant was nerve jingling! After winning a hamper of biscuits and general yumminess on Friday my kitchen is 100% proof on the sugar content! Luckily I have the self-control to only have one and leave the rest. Ok, two, but's that's the end of it. Well, I suppose the box is open now I might as well finish them off, no point letting get soft.

*spits crumbs* fee, 'elf-'ontrol!!!

Now, if self-control is what you want, you need to go here, you'll find some of the best buns this side of Jessica Alba...! I hear Cream Puff's are a wonder to behold.


Where was I...? Oh yeah, a big thanks to Marce for her choice, and I mirror other DBer's comments about making this recipe again some time. I'm just off to take the retarded ones out of the fridge... happy salivating!

34 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey,
they look good. To make thm I usually use croissants dough if I want them a little puffy, and brioche dough if I want them smooth...
Never tried cinnamon though, here we're making pains aux raisins

Ilva said...

They look so nice! And I especially like your fast nip off to the pub, sorry shop, it shows you dedication to serious matters!

slush said...

Now those are some seriously mighty buns! And I agree, trip to the pub is just what I would do while waiting, if I didnt have 3 little ones trailing around with me. Great job!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

A wonder how booze helps the buns rise. You have some pretty hot looking ones there! ;-)

Hilda said...

That's amazing that they rose so much! I kneaded by hand like you and basically punched my dough over and over and then picked it up and twisted it, while eyeing the clock, that was hard work! They look great.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Who told you about my buns????

Those are some mighty fine big boys you have there! Love the glaze ...

Anne said...

Yum - they look delicious :) I say the bigger, the better!

Kelly-Jane said...

I'm not a confident yeast baker yet, and I was a bit worried about all the extra flour I added into the dough as well, but as long as they all turned out well in the end. Lovely buns :)

Jes said...

They look wonderful! Kudos!

Jenny said...

Wow look at the size of those big boys! Huge!

Helene said...

Look at their size...is that true what they say about men and their cinnamon buns?...
Great job!

Unknown said...

I love how big and puffy your rolls got! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Looking good :)

breadchick said...

Mark, I'm using your "proofing" timer of pints next time I make these! Great job and great post as usual!!!

Belinda said...

My cowgirl hat's off to you for kneading the dough by hand...I guess I would have had I been forced to, but...reluctantly! These buns looks perfectly yummy! :-)

Karen Baking Soda said...

Yay! Victory for big buns! Well done!

Unknown said...

Wow, your buns rose to the challenge in a way mine never did. Hee hee. The hazelnuts sound lovely.

Peabody said...

Those are some big buns...always taste after a pub run.

Annemarie said...

Great buns, and I admire the dedication of baking through the effects that Mr. Smith and Mr. Guinness brought on!

Laura said...

What's not to love about those big buns?!

Anonymous said...

those are huuuuuge, Mark, but very tempting, even after having seen about 50 different renditions so far, that´s how good your pics look! And no over-decorating this month for me ;)

Brilynn said...

Wow, they sure did puff up! Looks great!

Anne said...

they are so plump with goodness! glad you liked it :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Guinness always leads to lovely buns. Great job.

Lis said...

Holy Criminy! Are those your buns or are you just happy to see me??

Those are definitely some manly buns, Mark.. in fact, I think they might be the manliest of buns I've ever laid my eyes on.. I'll bet they are firm....

Oh! HI! Nice.. love the icing! Way to go.. good job and all that.. :P

xoxo

Deborah said...

Great buns and funny post!! Well done!

marias23 said...

Whoa! They sure poofed up, ya? Yeast rocks!

Amy said...

Mmm they look fantastic! I like how big and puffy they got.

Alpineberry Mary said...

Those are some seriously brawny buns Mark! Nice job.

Aoife said...

Oh, don't talk about Jessica Alba on a post with cinnamon buns, that's just depressing! But given the choice, I'd definitely prefer a roll to having a body like hers, and yours look fantastic!

Dolores said...

Those have to be the biggest most bodacious buns I've seen so far. I look forward to your Daring Baker posts all month Nazca... you never fail to educate and entertain!

Anh said...

They look so lovely! You have done a very good job! And ya, cinnamon is nice, isn't it?

Julie said...

Buns and beer! What more do you need? It's all about fermentation, so they could be cousins.

I love your proofing shot--they got so nice and poofy!

Andrea said...

Lovely combination...buns and beer!