Food, glorious food... done my way. Pretence of perfection

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Potato Gratin Dauphinoise

I had lots of potatoes left over from the roast rib eye at the weekend. I like to kill as many birds with as few stones usually, so I decided to whack the remaining spuds into one big glorious dish. I also had some cream left unused from said steak bonanza; just in case I wanted a nice creamy sauce for my meat.
I decided on dolphin potatoes because it's rich, creamy and, as Nigella would say, soul food. My soul is perfect at the moment, but you never know when it might need a top up so I decided to practice... just in case.


Plus I have a new toy, food processor, and this dish involved lots of thin chopping. Perfick. After saving hours on the chopping of potatoes I made it all back on the washing up. Hey ho.

The red/purple bits you may be able to pick out are red onion slices. What you won't see is the garlic and large amount of black pepper (and salt). I'm not one for bland food.

I buttered the ceramic dish and pre-heated the oven to 180C. I packed in the potato slices, onion and garlic nice and tight.

In a saucepan I heated a mix of cream and milk until simmering point. There might have been more cream than milk... :-) This gets poured onto the potato mix slowly until it just reaches the upper layer. You want a few bits of potato sticking out to crisp up. (I think I had just enough to cover the mix too much, hence no (too) crunchy bits, but also no waste).

Then added some dolcelatte (birds/stones again) and butter blobs onto the top then slammed it in the oven. I was gonna leave it for about an hour... but checked it 10 mins before and it was done. Christmas come early!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Move over, Nigella! I think we have a new food superstar on our hands!

Cat said...

he may well take her place, he would look pretty good in a dress :)

Nazca said...

Ivonne, cheers I'll remember you when I win the lottery. :-)

Catesa, cheers! I'll remember YOU when I win the lottery!!!! :-P

Anonymous said...

Great! A guy that cooks and washes up! :)

That looks deliciously creamy! This would go really nice with roast chicken that i've been craving...

Nazca said...

Mmmm roast chicken

Cindy said...

Hummm, looks delicious. Next time you make one, can I get invited for dinner ? ;)

Nazca said...

I'll make one just for you, if you bring dessert :-D

Anonymous said...

It's a heart attack on a plate, but I do love them so....looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Do you not press it in fridge for 12hours? nor use mandalin for the fine slicers or better yet! pastry cutter for circles for bottom layer (in end in top layer once flipped). good dish all round :)

Nazca said...

Good god no. To any of your suggestions. This is comfort food more than anything else, why get all worked up about it? Basically just sling it in a dish and sit back with a glass of alcoholic beverage and relax :-)

Anonymous said...

Do you mean dauphinoise potatoes?

Nazca said...

It has been called that yes. I also call it potato dolpin nose. I'm wacky that way.